SIP on FTTH systems

Jean-Francois Mezei jfmezei_nanog at vaxination.ca
Thu Feb 6 05:13:22 UTC 2014

On 14-02-06 00:07, Frank Bulk wrote:
> In our vendor's implementation, the main access shelf hands out IPs to the
> "ATAs" integrated in the ONTs over a separate VLAN.  No PPPoE required.

Thanks. This would imply that in a wholesale environment,  use of the
integrated ATA would have to be charged separatly with the telco then
handing off SIP traffic from the OLT to (likely) a nearby CLEC SIP
server that is colocated (or pay for transit to internet to reach
distant SIP server)

I know that in the australian NBN plan, they do charge separatly to
access the "dedicated" VoIP service,  but this is meant more as a means
to access the QoS managed bandwidth than to deal with handoff and IP
management service that is performed locally instead of by the ISP.