BCP38 [Was: Re: TWC (AS11351) blocking all NTP?]

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue Feb 4 19:33:10 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Valdis Kletnieks" <Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu>

> Can somebody explain to me why those who run eyeball networks are able
> to block outbound packets when the customer hasn't paid their bill,
> but can't seem to block packets that shouldn't be coming from that
> cablemodem?

The purported argument is "our edge concentrators don't have that knob/
enough horsepower to do it manually and stay on the line card".

I'm not sure how accurate that argument is any more and (as I noted in
another reply just now[1]), I'm officially not buying it anymore.

Cheers,
-- jra
[1] http://www.bcp38.info/index.php/Information_for_equipment_manufacturers