TWC (AS11351) blocking all NTP?

Laszlo Hanyecz laszlo at heliacal.net
Tue Feb 4 19:01:51 UTC 2014

I was joking, I meant that the operator provides an API for attackers, so they can accomplish their goal of taking the customer offline, without having to spoof or flood or whatever else.  Automatically installing ACLs in response to observed flows accomplishes almost the same thing.  As a concrete example, say a customer is running a game server that utilizes UDP port 12345.  An attacker sends a large flow to customer:12345 and your switches and routers all start filtering anything with destination customer:12345, for say 2 hours.  Then the attacker can just repeat in 2 hours and send only a few seconds worth of flooding each time.