BCP38 [Was: Re: TWC (AS11351) blocking all NTP?]

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Feb 4 18:47:46 UTC 2014

On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 10:09:02 -0800, Paul Ferguson said:

> I'd like to echo Jared's sentiment here -- collectively speaking,
> service providers need to figure out a way to deal with this issue,
> before some congresscritters start to try to introduce legislation
> that will force you to to do it in a way that no one will like.

Can somebody explain to me why those who run eyeball networks are able
to block outbound packets when the customer hasn't paid their bill,
but can't seem to block packets that shouldn't be coming from that
cablemodem?

(And yes, I know that in the first case, it urges the customer to cough
up the bucks, and in the second case, it's usually not a revenue generator)