TWC (AS11351) blocking all NTP?

Majdi S. Abbas msa at latt.net
Tue Feb 4 01:10:01 UTC 2014

On Mon, Feb 03, 2014 at 03:50:03PM -0500, John R. Levine wrote:
> I believe you, but I don't believe that the set of ntp.org servers
> changes so rapidly that it is beyond the ability of network
> operators to handle the ones on their own networks as a special
> case.

	I think you'd be surprised.

	I have to say I've been shocked at how little most network
operators appear to understand about how NTP actually works, and
how little thought is going into the consequences of suggested
filtering techniques.

	Has anyone considered the implications of a world where
your customers cannot correlate timestamps on abuse reports because
you decided you knew better than they did how, and which sources of
time they would be allowed to use?

	NTP works best with a diverse set of peers.  You know, outside
your little bubble, or walled garden, or whatever people in this thread
appear to be trying to build.  I'm not sure what to call it, but it's
definitely not the Internet.

	--msa