TWC (AS11351) blocking all NTP?

Michael DeMan nanog at deman.com
Mon Feb 3 05:45:50 UTC 2014

The recently publicized mechanism to leverage NTP servers for amplified DoS attacks is seriously effective.
I had a friend who had a local ISP affected by this Thursday and also another case where just two asterisk servers saturated a 100mbps link to the point of unusability.
Once more - this exploit is seriously effective at using bandwidth by reflection.

From a provider point of view, given the choices between contacting the end-users vs. mitigating the problem, if I were in TW position if I was unable to immediately contact the numerous downstream customers that were affected by this, I would take the option to block NTP on a case-by-case basis (perhaps even taking a broad brush) rather than allow it to continue and cause disruptions elsewhere.

- Mike