Twinax trivia check (was Re: Is there such a thing as a 10GBase-T SFP+ transciever)

Brian Loveland brian at aereo.com
Mon Feb 3 04:04:51 UTC 2014

We've worked through the same issues with Brocade/Intel, although we found
that even though Brocade specs active only, our ICX switches don't reject
passive cables, although oddly the Intel branded passive cables show up as
UNSUPPORTED (but FCI and Molex ones from Digikey show up as the correct
length and correct type of cable).
If you do decide to go generic make sure you check the sizing.  Maybe
Brocade SFP+ drive is weak but using some 28 AWG 5M cables we've seen it
takes a lot of errors.  Switching to 26 AWG or 24 AWG solved the issue.  I
suspect Brocade requires active just from their storage background.