Ad Hoc Education Committee Call for Volunteers

Siegel, David David.Siegel at Level3.com
Mon Feb 3 00:25:39 UTC 2014

Dear NANOG community,

In August 2012, Steve Gibbard placed the first call for community volunteers to help establish a NANOG education initiative, which would put together a NANOG-created educational program for junior (and possibly more advanced) network operators.

I am happy to report, thanks to the help of those original volunteers, the initial work has proven successful!   The Education Series is adopted and an Ad Hoc committee structure has been approved and supported by the NANOG Board.  I have agreed to serve as Chair of the Ad Hoc Education Committee and seek volunteers to continue with the committee work.  Please consider volunteering your time and effort in support of this NANOG activity.

Committee Objectives:

  *   Build a unified branding and message about NANOG's unique position and community
  *   Develop mutually rewarding agreements with instructors and students
  *   Maintain the sense of community and accessibility in class syllabus and instructional materials
  *   Develop and deploy a portfolio of classes that meet the broad range of students.

Committee Member Expectations:

*         Recruit a minimum of 1 instructor per calendar year.

  *   Attend 75% of all scheduled committee calls.
  *   Attend 66% of all NANOG meetings over the course of their two-year term.
  *   Observe two classes over the course of their two-year term.
  *   volunteer up to 10 hours in the 12 weeks leading into a class and an additional 15 hours all year round

We are seeking volunteers to fill the following positions:  Vice-Chair, Program Director, Instruction Director, and Technical Director, and members at large.

If you are interested in participating, please send a short bio to Betty Burke, NANOG Executive Director, betty at nanog.org<mailto:betty at nanog.org>.  Betty can also answer any and all questions you may have.   Betty or I will be sure to follow-up with each volunteer and get our important work underway.

Sincerely,
Dave Siegel