TWC (AS11351) blocking all NTP?

Cb B cb.list6 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 2 22:17:31 UTC 2014

On Feb 2, 2014 8:35 AM, "Jonathan Towne" <jtowne at slic.com> wrote:

> The provider has kindly acknowledged that there is an issue, and are
> working on a resolution.  Heads up, it may be more than just my region.

And not just your provider, everyone is dealing with UDP amp attacks.

These UDP based amp attacks are off the charts. Wholesale blocking of
traffic at the protocol level to mitigate 10s to 100s of gigs of ddos
traffic is not "knee jerk", it is the right thing to do in a world where
bcp 38 is far from universal and open dns servers, ntp, chargen, and
whatever udp 172 is run wild.

People who run networks know what it takes to restore service. And
increasingly, that will be clamping ipv4 UDP in the plumbing,  both
reactively and proactively.

And, i agree bcp38 would help but that was published 14 years ago.

CB

> -- Jonathan Towne
>

> On Sat, Feb 01, 2014 at 11:03:19PM -0500, Jonathan Towne scribbled:
> # This evening all of my servers lost NTP sync, stating that our on-site
NTP