TWC (AS11351) blocking all NTP?

Jonathan Towne jtowne at slic.com
Sun Feb 2 16:33:13 UTC 2014

The provider has kindly acknowledged that there is an issue, and are
working on a resolution.  Heads up, it may be more than just my region.

-- Jonathan Towne

On Sat, Feb 01, 2014 at 11:03:19PM -0500, Jonathan Towne scribbled:
# This evening all of my servers lost NTP sync, stating that our on-site NTP
# servers hadn't synced in too long.
#
# Reference time noted by the local NTP servers:
#   Fri, Jan 31 2014 19:11:29.725
#
# Apparently since then, NTP has been unable to traverse the circuit.  Our
# other provider is shuffling NTP packets just fine, and after finding an
# NTP peer that return routed in that direction, I was able to get NTP back
# in shape.
#
# Spot checking various NTP peers configured on my end with various looking
# glasses close to the far-end confirm that anytime the return route is
# through AS11351, we never get the responses.  Outbound routes almost always
# take the shorter route through our other provider.
#
# Is anyone else seeing this, or am I lucky enough to have it localized to
# my region (Northern NY)?
#
# I've created a ticket with the provider, although with it being the weekend,
# I have doubts it'll be a quick resolution.  I'm sure its a strange knee-jerk
# response to the monlist garbage.  Still, stopping time without warning is
# Uncool, Man.
#
# -- Jonathan Towne
#