MPLS VPN design - RR in forwarding path?

Jeff Tantsura jeff.tantsura at ericsson.com
Wed Dec 31 19:14:46 UTC 2014

Hi,

Right, one is when besides forwarding packets a router also functioning as a RR, another - when RR sets NH to itself and hence forces all the traffic to pass thru the router in fast path.
Keep in mind - some architectures, such as seamless MPLS would require a RR to be in the fast path.
There are some other cases where it could be a requirement.
I'd advice to look into vRR space - price/performance looks quite good.

Wrt open source implementations - if you are looking into relatively basic feature set (v4/v6 unicast/vpn) reliability is not of main concern and of course- there are hands and brains to support it - could be a viable approach.
Might you be looking into more complex feature set  - EVPN, BGP-LS, FS,
enhanced route refresh, etc,  highly optimized code wrt update rate/ number of peers supported - most probably you'd end up with a commercial implementation.

Hope this helps

Regards,
Jeff