MPLS VPN design - RR in forwarding path?

Ca By cb.list6 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 12:15:40 UTC 2014

On Wednesday, December 31, 2014, Marcin Kurek <notify at marcinkurek.com>
wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm reading Randy's Zhang BGP Design and Implementation and I found
> following guidelines about designing RR-based MPLS VPN architecture:
> - Partition RRs
> - Move RRs out of the forwarding path
> - Use a high-end processor with maximum memory
> - Use peer groups
> - Tune RR routers for improved performance.
>
> Since the book is a bit outdated (2004) I'm curious if these rules still
> apply to modern SP networks.
> What would be the reasoning behind keeping RRs out of the forwarding path?
> Is it only a matter of performance and stability?
>
> Thanks,
> Marcin

Correct, these ideas are MOSTLY rooted in old school router limitations.

Ymmv. Look for facts in the replies you get, not unsubstantiated opinions.

There is no technical reason to have a bgp rr out of path on a hardware
based forwarding router that has sufficient control plane capacity to run
bgp.

CB