Charter ARP Leak

Larry Sheldon larrysheldon at cox.net
Tue Dec 30 01:21:28 UTC 2014

On 12/29/2014 11:35, Brett Frankenberger wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 12:27:04PM -0500, Jay Ashworth wrote:
>>>
>>> Valdis, you are correct. What your seeing is caused by multiple IP
>>> blocks being assigned to the same CMTS interface.
>>
>> Am I incorrect, though, in believing that ARP packets should only be visible
>> within a broadcast domain,
>
> broadcast domain != subnet

It surprises me that in this day and age, in a forum like this that has
an active thread about kids being taught archaic concepts, we see
language like "broadcast domain != subnet" and a perceived need to
explain it.

[no longer germane material deleted to reduce excess baggage charges]

> int ethernet 0/0
>    ip address 10.0.0.1 255.255.0.0
>    ip address 11.0.0.1 255.255.0.0 secondary
>    ip address 12.0.0.1 255.255.0.0 secondary
>
> The broadcast domain will have ARP broadcasts for all three subnets.

This are not "subnets"!  They are IP addresses in three different IP
networks.

> Doing it over a CMTS doesn't change that.

Communication here perceived as hostile is apologized-for.

--
The unique Characteristics of System Administrators:

The fact that they are infallible; and,

The fact that they learn from their mistakes.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes