How our young colleagues are being educated....

Måns Nilsson mansaxel at besserwisser.org
Fri Dec 26 09:35:53 UTC 2014

Subject: Re: How our young colleagues are being educated.... Date: Fri, Dec 26, 2014 at 02:56:40AM -0500 Quoting William Herrin (bill at herrin.us):

> In the real world you often assign a /32 to a loopback address on each
> router and make all of the serial interfaces borrow that address (ip
> unnumbered in Cisco parlance) which wastes no addresses.

Why would you want to waste 79228162514264337593543950336 addresses on a loopback?

More seriously, why does this discussion only briefly mention IPv6? Every
client comes with it (aggressvely) enabled -- it is there despite the
fat / happy parts of the networking community sitting on their legacy
space and laughing at Asia.

I've had, as mentioned earlier, a "cisco graduate" as intern and then
colleague for a year now. He's a fast learner, and that was needed. No
v6. Not much MPLS. No ISIS. Barely eBGP. No iBGP, especially not in
conjunction with a link-state IGP. Lots of RIP, Flame Delay and EIGRP.

There are two problems;

* The academic community is either outdated or married to a
  vendor-specific course -- and that marriage is not very
  academic, IMNSHO. Academia must be vendor agnostic.

* The vendor courses are too enterprisey, and an outdated
  enterprise at that. There is no course in "running a
  sensible chunk of the Internet".

And this in a world where the largest innovation the last 5 years is
abstraction (as in virtualisation and to some extent SDN). Not in
protocols. Should be reasonably easy to keep up.

--
Måns Nilsson     primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE                             +46 705 989668