How our young colleagues are being educated....

Ken Chase math at sizone.org
Mon Dec 22 20:31:52 UTC 2014

Learning how to do CIDR math is a major core component of the coursework? Im
thinking that this is about a 30 minute module in the material, once you know
binary, powers of 2 and some addition and subtraction (all of which is taught
in most schools by when, first year highschool?) you should be done with it.

Why is CIDR such an important coursework component? Or is it just a shibboleth
to filter out people who cant do simple gradeschool math in their heads or
just memorize the subnets (there's only 7.. I've only used supernets twice in
the last 10 years..) (I admit I slow down a little when I do wildcard
netmasks, but other than that.. ?)

I heard tales of kids (ie under 25) learning partial differential equations in
university or college as well (which I myself had trouble with but eventually
got, at least long enough to write the exam!) so why is the
mathematics/symbolics manipulation bar set so low in modern courses in any
sci/tech stream?

/kc

--
Ken Chase - ken at heavycomputing.ca skype:kenchase23 +1 416 897 6284 Toronto Canada