Level3 to Savvis/CenturyLink problems?

Teleric Team teleric-lists at outlook.com
Thu Dec 18 14:14:56 UTC 2014

> From: leah.reveliotty at virginamerica.com
> Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 13:47:33 -0800
> Subject: Level3 to Savvis/CenturyLink problems?
> To: nanog at nanog.org
>
> We have an MPLS backbone from Level3 and are experiencing issues between
> two of our San Francisco Bay Area locations – namely our HQ in Burlingame,
> CA and our Savvis/CenturyLink Data Center in Santa Clara, CA.  Ping
> response times between these 2 sites are within the normal range, but our
> Applications are timing out. We’ve obviously done a ton of troubleshooting
> on the Application side of things, but everything points back to a circuit
> issue and after a lot of testing we are scratching our heads trying to
> narrow down this issue.  So I wanted to post to this list to see if anyone
> else has noticed issues with their Level3 circuits in the Bay Area over the
> last 2 days as well?
Hello Leah,
Yes and no, not anymore.
>From Monday to Wed we had bad connectivity from LA to Sacramento, but different from your scenario, ping had a good latency but package loss was noticeable.
After 2 days of phone chattery we managed someone to skip San Jose, San Francisco and the whole SF Bay area, routing us via Fresno-Modesto to reach Sacramento. Latency increased a bit but overall quality was restored.
So yes, somehow I can confirm there's something going on with apparent isolated issues on Bay Area, specially near San Jose. Seems isolated because from what I noticed on phone it was "only me". And now you.