How do I handle a supplier that delivered a faulty product?

Baldur Norddahl baldur.norddahl at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 19:29:38 UTC 2014

No, but I would say that they were afraid they might not be able to fix the
problem and somebody in the sales organization misstepped. Our reseller
went the extra mile for us and managed to escalate the issue all the way to
the CTO level.

Apparently it was not an easy problem to fix. The problem would be with the
chipset. Our reseller found a competing product that used the same chipset,
and they had the same problem. Only the competing product would be stable
at 950 Mbps instead of the 750 Mbps we had on the Zhone product. We agreed
with Zhone that if they could tune it to 950 Mbps, we could live with that
as "good enough". But in the end they actually managed to fix it
completely, so now the Zhone product is line speed and the competing
product is not.

Learning from this, I would recommend everyone considering a GPON product
based on a new chipset, to test how it performs when downloading at line
speed, especially if the source is a 10 Gbps enabled server. There is
apparently a bad chipset out there, that requires careful tuning for it to
perform to spec. Even if you are not selling gigabit, there are microbursts
that could cause trouble.

Our speedtests now looks like this:
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3962524900 - this is good as in reality
the speedtest is what people are buying...

Regards,

Baldur