Cisco AnyConnect speed woes!

Zachary McGibbon zachary.mcgibbon+nanog at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 15:30:01 UTC 2014

We seem to have narrowed down the problem to our Cisco SCE packet shaper.
It seems to be misclassifying about 15-20% of the DTLS traffic into
encrypted bittorrent and since we have shaping rules in place to limit
torrent traffic, this was causing the issue.

To resolve the issue, we put the IP of our VPN ASA into a different package
on the SCE and did not apply any shaping rules to it.

We are still monitoring to be sure but we are quite confident this was the
issue.

So note to anyone out there using a shaper and has a DTLS VPN behind it,
check your classifications or whitelist your VPN box!

- Zachary