Comcast thinks it ok to install public wifi in your house

Daniel Karrenberg daniel.karrenberg at ripe.net
Fri Dec 12 11:37:17 UTC 2014

On 11.12.14 21:22 , Randy Bush wrote:
> note that free.fr does this in france.  we both provide and use it
> there.  works out quite well.

Another data point: several cable broadband providers do this in NL. My
personal experience is with Ziggo. Imho they do it right:

	- opt-in, at least when I joined as an early adopter
	- you do get roaming privileges yourself if you opt-in
	- full WPA authentication
	- each customer has their individual authentication info
	- back-haul is via a separate DOCSIS connection
		- no leakage
		- no bandwidth loss on your subscription
		- no liability for what roamers do

This to me is acceptable. In practice I have turned it off by default on
my phone and I rarely roam as 3G/4G charges are also reasonable. I found
it to be annoying when quality varies as it roams from 3G to Wifi and
Wifi to Wifi. But I do manually turn it on occasionally when stationary
and doing a lot of data.

Daniel