Got a call at 4am - RAID Gurus Please Read

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 03:29:31 UTC 2014

On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 9:05 PM, Barry Shein <bzs at world.std.com> wrote:
[snip]
> From my reading the closest you can get to disk space quotas in ZFS is
> by limiting on a per directory (dataset, mount) basis which is similar
> but different.

This is the normal type of quota within ZFS.   it is applied to a
dataset and limits the size of the dataset, such as
home/username.
You can have as many datasets ("filesystems") as you like  (within
practical limits),  which is probably the way to go in regards to home
directories.

But another option is

zfs set groupquota at groupname=100GB   example1/blah
zfs set userquota at user1=200MB   example1/blah

This would be available on the  Solaris implementation.

I am not 100% certain that this is available under the BSD implementations,
even if QUOTA is enabled in your kernel config.

In the past.... the BSD implementation of ZFS never seemed to be as
stable, functional, or performant as the OpenSolaris/Illumos version.

--
-JH