Comcast thinks it ok to install public wifi in your house

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Dec 11 22:29:30 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Larry Sheldon" <larrysheldon at cox.net>

> On 12/11/2014 07:10, William Herrin wrote:
>
> > What Comcast is stealing is electricity. Pennies per customer times
> > a boatload of customers.
>
> .....and floorspace, physical security, air conditioning, and all
> sorts of labor overheads.

Nope; at that stage, Larry, you're makin it up.

In the particular case we're talking about here, Comcast -- who are not my
favorite people by any means -- have *enabled a feature built into the
terminal device they're provisioning*.  It *might* increase the overall
power consumption of that device by as much as 5-10 Wh/*month*.  The
increase in A/C won't register on the chart.  Physical security is no different
than it was otherwise: none.  And floorspace and labor?  It is, as they say,
to laugh.

If we want to diss Comcast, let us not descend to things they *are not* doing;
there are plenty of dissable things they *are* doing.

Cheers,
-- jr 'credibility: it matters' a