Comcast thinks it ok to install public wifi in your house

Robert Webb rwebb at ropeguru.com
Thu Dec 11 22:09:48 UTC 2014

Many read, but what choice do they have. In many cases Comcast is the only
game in town and it is either agree, or have no "real" internet access at
all.

I am one that has opposed the auto opt-in of this setup. The main reason is
that Comcast wants up to foot the bill for power and space for their
benefit. While, yes, it is very minimal, what's good for the goose is good
for the gander. By that I mean why shouldn't we be able to nickel and dime
them like they do to us. We pay for internet access and they want to charge
us for access AND to lease equipment. Yeah, sure, if you are a residential
user or a business class user without a static ip, then you can go out and
purchase your own device. But if you have BCI with static IP's then you are
screwed. I have the 50/10 BCI with 5 static IP's and then I have to pay an
additional $12.95 per month just for the crappy SMC device. If I remember
correctly, residential pays $8.95 per month.

Equipment should be included in the cost of the service, and always was in
the past. But yet, Comcast has decided to nickel and dime us to death for
everything, not just modem rentals.

Robert