Private ASNs in the wild

Jason Lixfeld jason at lixfeld.ca
Thu Dec 11 22:08:16 UTC 2014

I just fat fingered a regex that was intented to show how many private ASNs we’re using on our network for various things.  The results of the fat fingers showed that there are an astronomical number of private ASNs in the wild.  I checked the CIDR report, and those ASNs are shown there in a specific Bogon ASN report, but I’m surprised that as far as I can recall, there haven’t been any efforts made by the good netizens around these parts to bring awareness to this issue.

Do we feel that it’s not that big of a deal?  Have we not really been paying attention?  Some other reason this seems to be a rather muted topic?