Comcast thinks it ok to install public wifi in your house

Livingood, Jason Jason_Livingood at cable.comcast.com
Thu Dec 11 21:41:24 UTC 2014

On 12/11/14, 3:50 PM, "Doug Barton" <dougb at dougbarton.us<mailto:dougb at dougbarton.us>> wrote:

That's interesting, thanks for that info, Mike. Jason has a good point in that a lot of the "reporting" on this topic so far has been ill-informed...

What else is new? ;-) It’s frustrating where I sit but sometimes reporters don’t like when facts get in the way of a good story. It comes with the territory, so I’m used to it.

I see a lot of strong xfinity signals stomping on an already crowded 2.4 G spectrum.

Fair point. But 2.4GHz was a bit of a mess before we came along with this service. 5GHz is a lot better and we were one of many companies in favor of the recent FCC decision to expand unlicensed 5GHz spectrum. See http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/03/more-wi-fi-is-better-fcc-expands-use-of-5-ghz-spectrum/

So just to be clear, I'm not being critical at this point, I'm simply interested in separating the facts from the hype.

No worries! :-)

Jason