Comcast thinks it ok to install public wifi in your house

Livingood, Jason Jason_Livingood at cable.comcast.com
Thu Dec 11 21:26:21 UTC 2014

On 12/11/14, 3:04 PM, "Rodney Joffe" <rjoffe at centergate.com> wrote:

>The flip side is that as a(n) happy xfinity customer I get to roam in
>lots of places around the US (and maybe even abroad),  as do all of the
>xfinity home customers.

Outside of the U.S., a customer can use the WiFi networks operated by
Liberty Global. As of September 2014, Liberty Global had over 2.5 million
home spots under the "Wi-Free" and ³WifiSpots" names (SSIDs) in various
countries in Europe, including Belgium, the Netherlands, Ireland, Poland
and Switzerland. I expect more international roaming agreements in the
future - which can save a lot of money compared to using international
data roaming via 4G LTE, etc.

>The only challenge I see is the issue around wifi congestion. In my DC
>condo building there are a couple of hundred xfinity cable modem
>customers, mostly with wifi.

Unlicensed WiFi is being taking to interesting new levels of scale around
the world. As it does, new technical solutions will certainly be called
for, including stuff like Œradio resource management¹ that can make APs
aware of neighbors and collectively adjust power levels and channels to
operate as an efficient whole.

>From my standpoint, I want IP everywhere and I much prefer unlicensed
spectrum to licensed. :-)

Jason