Cisco AnyConnect speed woes!

Roy Hirst rhirst at xkl.com
Thu Dec 11 21:18:03 UTC 2014

Confidently based on no knowledge at all -

*Roy Hirst* | 425-556-5773 | 425-324-0941 cell
XKL LLC | 12020 113th Ave NE, Suite 100 | Kirkland, WA 98034 | USA

>>     - We have noticed that in some instances that if a user is on a low
>>     speed connection that their VPN speed gets cut by about 1/3.
>> This doesn't
>>     seem normal that the VPN would use this much overhead
No, sure, but are you sure that congestion is not dropping a packet
somewhere in the end-to-end? If you offend TCP it will likely cut the
sender's packet transmit rate, even if the "possible" VPN rate is much
higher.
>>     - We do not have the issue when connecting to VPN directly on our
>> own
>>     network, only connections from the Internet
Internet would mean maybe a proxy or firewall then, with too-small
buffers or an old-time TCP/IP stack? Just a thought.

>> If you have any ideas on what we could try net, please let me know!
>>
>> - Zachary
>
> What OS builds?   At one point the code had an 8 packet hard coded
> window per tcp flow, which capped ssl over tcp window size to about
> 5mbps depending on RTT.     Recent 8 branches raised this to something
> more reasonable that capped around 20 mbps.    DTLS over udp and IPSEC
> tunnels did not have this issue.
UDP traffic does not have this problem but TCP does? Hmmm...

The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged, confidential and protected from disclosure.
 If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying is strictly prohibited.
 If you think that you have received this e-mail message in error, please e-mail the sender at the above e-mail address.