Comcast thinks it ok to install public wifi in your house

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Dec 11 20:58:08 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Christopher Morrow" <morrowc.lists at gmail.com>

> On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 2:11 PM, George, Wes
> <wesley.george at twcable.com> wrote:
> > Their intended use is to give
> > access to visitors in your house and/or yard without you needing to
> > set up
> > a dedicated guest network or giving them your wifi password.
>
> this seems like the key point here... comcast isn't actually
> benefiting (except perhaps in less calls about: "Someone reconfigured
> my AP ... now it's all screwy"
>
> folk need to relax just a tad, and consider the technical implications
> here, outside of the conspiracy theories.

Alas, I cannot accept George's assertion (which is quite a different thing
from my thinking it's a conspiracy): In residential areas (non-multi-unit),
this is only going to help out *Comcast subscribers*.  If you have random
visitors over, it won't help them, as they can't get authed to the service.

Unless you give them your credentials, at which point they can use it
everywhere, not just at your house.

And it doesn't let you help your neighbors for the same reason: if they
have their own creds for it, then they don't need your AP since they have
one.

No, I'm having a hard time figuring out what the use case *is* for this service
as deployed against *residential* hardware, myself...

Cheers,
-- jra