Comcast thinks it ok to install public wifi in your house

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Dec 11 20:53:37 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Valdis Kletnieks" <Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu>

> On Thu, 11 Dec 2014 18:04:20 +0000, "Livingood, Jason" said:
>
> > Right, so user name & password + MAC address. As more devices
> > support things like Passpoint, this will get more sophisticated.
>
> OK, so it *does* do .1x authentication with the name/password, not
> just mac address. That's a lot less scary.. :)

Well, if we're still talking about Bright House customer wifi, the user/pass
auth is only on the first connection, and it's in-band.  Any device can
associate to any of their APs, you just don't get anywhere until you auth the
first time, after which it just looks like open wifi to you.  So I don't think
it is .1x; that won't even let you associate if you can't authenticate,
will it?  Or do I misunderstand .1x/.11?

Cheers,
-- jra