Comcast thinks it ok to install public wifi in your house

George, Wes wesley.george at twcable.com
Thu Dec 11 19:11:02 UTC 2014

On 12/11/14, 1:43 PM, "Jean-Francois Mezei" <jfmezei_nanog at vaxination.ca>
wrote:

>BTW, it isn't just the electricity, but also climate control and
>location which the subscriber provides for free.  Comcast need not rent
>space on poles and need not buy more expensive weatherized equipment
>that goes outdoors.

WG] In most cases your second assertion is not accurate, because the one
doesn't eliminate the need for the other. The pole/strand/vault mounted
and weatherized equipment is also quite a bit more powerful and has
external antennas so that it has better range, and likely has had some RF
engineering done to provide some reasonable envelope of contiguous
coverage between APs. The majority of these home GWs are unlikely to be a
real alternative to that sort of deployment for folks walking/driving past
your house even in the best case scenario where the AP is optimally
located and nearly every home on the block is participating and the houses
are very close to one another and to the street. This is still
fundamentally the same AP that may or may not have enough signal strength
to provide consistent performance in all areas of the inside of a home
(dependent on things like the location of the AP, the size & construction
of the home, other interference, etc etc). Their intended use is to give
access to visitors in your house and/or yard without you needing to set up
a dedicated guest network or giving them your wifi password.

Wes George

Anything below this line has been added by my company’s mail server, I
have no control over it.