automatic / intelligent fiber optic patch panel (iow SDN @ layer 0)

Phil Bedard bedard.phil at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 00:33:07 UTC 2014

Curious what the use case is where a photonic or L1 switch wouldn't get
the job done?

With the robotic system you still need to wire everything up so it's
available to be xconnected.

FiberZone was another vendor who made robotic patch panels, but I'm not
sure they are around anymore.

Interesting also Verizon has a patent on automated patch panels, but using
very specific mechanics.

https://www.google.com/patents/US8175425

Phil