Got a call at 4am - RAID Gurus Please Read

Allen McKinley Kitchen (gmail) allenmckinleykitchen at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 01:15:41 UTC 2014

+1 on the most important statement below, from my point of view: RAID 5 and RAID 10 are totally separate animals and while you can set up a separate RAID 10 array and migrate your data to it (as soon as possible!!!) you cannot migrate from 5 to 10 in place absent some utter magic that I am unaware of.

10 requires more raw drive space but offers significant write performance advantages when correctly configured (which isn't really too difficult). 5 is fine for protection against losing one drive, but 5 requires much more internal processing of writeable data before it begins the writes and, not too long ago, was considered completely inappropriate for applications with high numbers of writes, such as a transactional database.

Still, 5 is often used for database systems in casual installations just because it's easy, cheap (relatively) and modern fast boxes are fast enough.

Ok, getting down off my RAID soapbox - good luck.

..Allen