What can I infer from "show ip route" and similar BGP commands?

Reza Motamedi motamedi at cs.uoregon.edu
Tue Dec 9 04:16:35 UTC 2014

Thanks Joel for your detailed explanation. It was very informative. I have
been using routeviews for sometime, but given that I could get this amount
of information from other sources, I decided to give this a try.

On another note, do you think there is any value in checking the next hop
IP? I have been checking and it looks as if when the IP is in the AS at the
head of the AS path, the entry is associated with an iBGP record, right? I
just used the ripe stat to map IPs to AS and it always holds when there is
an AS for the next hop IP.

Thanks again for your input.