Followup: Survey results for the ARIN RPA

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Dec 8 05:14:01 UTC 2014

On Dec 7, 2014, at 9:40 PM, Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:

>> And there in lies my interest in all of this- there is little value in
>> signing my org's routes if no one is going to validate them.  It's a bit of
>> an odd position in that I have a very high interest in what the rest of the
>> community thinks of and how they act with respect to the RPA.  In other
>> words, your relationship with ARIN is now of concern to me.
>>
>> Maybe I'm being naively optimistic in thinking that these are solvable
>> problems.
>
> there is the rest of the world, it is a global internet.  the north
> american influence decreases continuously, some because of growth of the
> global internet, which is a good thing.  some because of noam making
> itself less and less relevant, as you point out.
>
> take a look at
>
>   http://archive.psg.com://rpki-rollout.jpg
>
> kinda tells you what's happening, eh?  lacnic has more roll-out than
> arin, and proportionally it is even more impressive; over 20% of lacnic
> allocations have roas.  and there is ripe, with the sheer numbers.

One could easily presume the ARIN region RPKI deployment statistics are
lower as a result of the RPA situation (and no doubt that it part of the
issue), but as noted earlier, it's unlikely to be the full story since
we also have a region (APNIC) where RPKI deployment also rather low that
and yet does not have these RPA legal entanglements.

It was suggested earlier that this may be due to a combination of factors
(education, promotion) beyond the RPA legal issues that are now being
worked - so that will also need to be addressed once the RPA is resolved.

/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN