10Gb iPerf kit?

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Sat Dec 6 10:06:34 UTC 2014

On (2014-11-10 16:26 -0800), Daniel Rohan wrote:

> We're looking for a semi-portable solution to validate 10Gb customer
> circuits and hitting walls surrounding PCI lanes and the amount of data
> laptops can push via their busses. We'd prefer to not have techs lugging
> around server equipment for these tests.

Maybe something like EXFO or Anritsu. Spirent and Agilent would be best, but
probably too expensive if this is the only use-case.

> Anyone out there testing 10gbE with iPerf?  If so, what are you using?

Not possible on iPerf. Network testing shouldn't be done with TCP, because
then you don't know what you're testing, are you testing TCP stack of the host
or network?
But writing performing UDP software is quite hard. You cannot use UDPSocket
like iperf does, it just does not work, you are lucky if you reliably test
1Gbps.
I'm not aware of modern performing UDP testing software, which is shame,
because it's possible to do today, it won't be portable and will impose
specific limitations on what hardware to use, but it'll be fast and will
deliver reliable results and quite accurate jitter measurement.

--
  ++ytti