ARIN's RPKI Relying agreement

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Dec 4 16:22:27 UTC 2014

>> On Dec 4, 2014, at 7:35 AM, Andrew Gallo <akg1330 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> In my informal conversations, what I got was that lawyers read
>>the agreement, said 'no, we wont sign it' and then dropped it.  If
>>specific legal feedback isn't making it back to ARIN, then we
>>need to start providing it,

Hi Andrew,

The short version is that the would-be consumers of the RPKI data want the
data published in much the same way that whois data is published. Many of
the organizations aren't even in the ARIN region. Virtually any formal
contract ARIN is able to offer will be a non-starter for these folks.

On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 10:51 AM, Bill Woodcock <woody at pch.net> wrote:
> All the specific legal feedback I’ve heard is that this is a liability
nightmare,
> and that everyone wants ARIN to take on all the liability, but nobody
> wants to pay for it.  Are you hearing something more useful than that?

Hi Bill,

No, nothing more useful. I've seen a lot of hand waving, but I still have
no clue how the publication of RPKI data places ARIN at a different risk
than publication of whois data. I think if we could better understand that,
we'd be better able assess what the next steps are. Do we beat down ARIN's
door and insist they publish the data? Do we pursue the creation of some
new organization to manage RPKI, one with intentionally shallow pockets,
and ask ARIN to cede the function? Something else? I think we all need a
better understanding of the alleged legal issue before we can zero in on
what should come next.

For sure ARIN's current solution, a contract few will sign, is
unsatisfactory.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us
May I solve your unusual networking challenges?