Phasing out of copper

Clayton Zekelman clayton at MNSi.Net
Wed Dec 3 13:52:38 UTC 2014

In the same breath, Bell says they want the CRTC to deregulate
copper, as it is no longer essential.

I know right now, that if ULLs were forborne, we would not have a
suitable substitute for our co-locate served customers.

In 5 to 10 years, that might be a different story, but today it is not.

Bell wants the freedom to deploy fibre networks without mandated
wholesale but also wants to de-regulate copper loops while still
using them for their own purposes as long as is convenient simply
because for 99% of the customers today, DSL speeds are what they
choose, and copper loops for now are the most cost effective way to
provide those speeds or just plain dialtone.

A bit of a have your cake & eat it too attitude, which is exactly
what I expect from Bell.

At 09:51 PM 02/12/2014, Jean-Francois Mezei wrote:

>One reason is that by pretending that copper is here to stay and is
>competitive, they hope to convicne CRTC that mandating wholesale access
>to FTTP is not necessary.

---

Clayton Zekelman
Managed Network Systems Inc. (MNSi)