Phasing out of copper

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Dec 3 02:16:21 UTC 2014

Depends on your desired outcome and goals. However…

I would think that rather than trying to convince regulators that you know better than the incumbents what they intend to do, it makes more sense to explain to regulators why maintaining copper once sufficient FTTP adoption is complete is foolhearty and a waste of money. If you can show that doing so creates unnecessary costs for consumers and doesn’t preserve a meaningfully competitive environment (after all, how can your services that are limited to being delivered over copper possibly compete effectively with FTTP?), I would think that should show the regulators that regardless of what the incumbents are saying, copper’s days as a delivery mechanism are numbered and that meaningful competition in the future requires competitive access to FTTP.

Most alarm systems these days simply use a POTS circuit and many are now capable of using IP service via  an ethernet port, so the days of requiring a dry copper pair (ULL) for an alarm circuit are numbered. You might be able to make a case (especially in Alberta) for “Farmer Lines” still requiring dry copper pairs, but even that is kind of sketchy these days.

If you’re trying to preserve access to dry copper for some reason, perhaps more information about your real goal and the real reasons behind it might help. If you’re trying to remain competitive, then I think access to unbundled fiber services is really where you should focus your efforts.

Owen