Time Warner outage?

Ray sixsigma44 at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 30 02:17:03 UTC 2014

What we noticed on home RoadRunner and on business TWC fiber about 6:15 AM EDT on the 27th:

We could access systems from one to another by IP address but not DNS.
We could ping other systems by IP.
Home DHCP was up but TWC DNS was down at home and at work on the business fiber. Couldn't even reach TWC DNS servers by IP address.

I'm not sure why two different classes of systems, business and residential, thirty miles apart would both be down on DNS but up on routing since the DNS servers are on different subnets. (We use TWC business DNS as Forwarders.)

It was acting like a DNS failure more than a routing failure for us. I vaguely remembered something about Cox DNS having an outage a few days earlier that someone in the Middle East took credit for but I can't find the article now. I was wondering if TWC was putting in a mitigation and got it wrong, or TWC did not put in a mitigation and the Middle Easters knocked on their door. My impression is that it was acting like all DNS traffic in and out of TWC was getting blocked but it cleared up too soon to perform further testing.

Ray