Broken IPv6 firmware on U-Verse 3801HGV

Ivan Kozik ivan at ludios.org
Tue Aug 26 01:50:29 UTC 2014

I noticed that AT&T released some firmware with IPv6 support back in
May for their 3801HGV (and related) gateways.  To try this out, I
factory-reset my 3801HGV (still on version 6.9) and it installed the
6.11 firmware about 10 minutes later.  I then used the obscure page at
https://esupport.att3.2wire.com/online-tool/compat-index.jsp to
request an IPv6 address ("wait 48 hours" it said) and got a routable
IPv6 address in just a few minutes.

All for naught, though.  With IPv6 enabled, the 3801HGV crashed and
rebooted about once an hour.   After unchecking "IPv6 LAN Enabled" in
http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_2_6 everything went back to normal.

If anyone from AT&T is listening, I'm happy to help diagnose your
firmware problems.

Ivan