DHCPv6 authentication

Randy Carpenter rcarpen at network1.net
Thu Aug 21 01:55:35 UTC 2014

My clients typically do DHCP authentication in order to have the ability to tell which user has which IP at what time. The challenge with doing this with IPv6 is that the original DHCPv6 spec has no provision for there to be any unique identifier that can be tied to a particular user like DHCPv4 does. RFC 6939 defines a way to fix that, but I have yet to see it implemented by anything.

thanks,
-Randy