Best US Tunnelbroker for Youtube

Ryan Shea ryanshea at google.com
Wed Aug 20 17:26:37 UTC 2014

Not sure I've seen any evidence (or implied) that the tunnel was the
problem. My issue as far as I know is at the application layer and other
end-user experiences seemed a reasonable way to pick a direction. I will
work with HE though and provide them some details.

Agreed, from an end-user perspective it can be often be clear as mud
whether I am using v6, or whether my Chromecast or Android device even
implements happy eyeballs. The relatively new "experiencing problems?"
butter bar that shows up beneath a video with notable buffering problems
(even at low quality levels) sends the user through to details about the
service provider, in this case HE. Over the past couple years YouTube has
been my canary to know when I've received a new IP from Verizon and I need
to go fix my tunnel -- video loading takes fuuuuuuuurever on
Android/Chromecast/GoogleTV (which hints that happy eyeballs, if it exists
for Android, isn't working so well for the YouTube app).

I can't get native v6 at my home -- I'm probably not in a particularly
unique situation. Not to rathole the dicsussion, but as far as I know (save
for some small DSL providers) unless I'm in a gFiber city or happen to be
in the portion of the Comcast network that provides native v6 I'm out of
luck. I don't plan on moving to solve this problem.