Huawei's Versatile Routing Platform (VRP)

Nikos Mouat nikm at cyberflunk.com
Wed Aug 20 01:53:04 UTC 2014

Hi Colton,
    I've been recently looking at the Huawei 12808 switch - I'm not sure
if it's the same OS as the routers, but so far I've had a positive
experience.
    I would say it's not very close at all to IOS - other than being
command line - perhaps closer than Extreme's OS, but not by much.
    That being said, the '?' and tab keys are helpful, and if you
understand the concepts, you can usually find the right knobs to turn. In
addition, at least for me, the Huawei teams have been extraordinarily
helpful in providing configuration templates and support.
    I think someone commented that it doesn't mix well with Cisco - I would
throw in that that's probably only based on the fact that Huawei does not
support PVST.

Thanks,
Nikos