Huawei's Versatile Routing Platform (VRP)

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Tue Aug 19 20:09:57 UTC 2014

On (2014-08-19 14:34 -0500), Colton Conor wrote:

Hi,

> How does Huawei's Versatile Routing Platform (VRP) operating system that is
> on their switches and routers compare to Cisco IOS or Juniper JunOS? Is the
> CLI syntax similar? How is the overall feature set? Would a tech that knows
> cisco be able to understand Huawei fairly easy?

If they know IOS they just need to change the nouns to some synonym and it's
the same.
And generally, if you know what you're doing, it's perfectly workable CLI. By
far nothing to write home to, but generally relying to CLI means there are
large inefficiencies in your process to address.
Overall the design is quite like IOS XE today, linux where single flat process
'vrp' does all the heavy-lifting.

> The pricing and feature set for Huawei's products are impressive, but no
> one ever seems to talk about their products? They claim to have multiple
> routers that smoke Cisco and Juniper platforms.We are talking Tbps
> platforms. What are the overall thoughts on Huawei?

I recently opened Huawei AR router which is essentially competing with Cisco
ISR and to lesser degree with Juniper SRX. To my surprise it was all wastern
quality kit, emmerson PSU, marvell ethernet chip, cavium octeon NPU/CPU, so
pretty similar to SRX in HW terms.

CX competes with ASR9k/MX, and NE as far as I know is like CX but more
core-focused marketing (like JNPR T is like MX for people with too much money)

I personally wouldn't have trouble committing heavily on Huawei kit if
economics otherwise make sense (training, systems, etc)

--
  ++ytti