Akamai charges for IPv6 support?

Aaron Hopkins lists at die.net
Mon Aug 18 16:38:19 UTC 2014

Is it normal to bill for IPv6 service as a separate product?  I was
surprised to hear from from my Akamai rep they they do:

> Hi Aaron, We can add the IPV6 service to the contract at an additional
> cost of $XXX/month. Please let me know if you would like to go ahead with
> the service and I can create the contract and send it for your review.

I've been working on adding IPv6 support to my current project on my own
time, and am now ready to enable it.  But as soon as there is a recurring
cost associated with IPv6 support, I need to be able to justify it.  And I'm
afraid that I can't currently explain a benefit of enabling IPv6 for our
users.  I'll likely end up not doing so while we're still an Akamai
customer.

It's Akamai's network, so it's their choice.  But big players adding
friction to enabling IPv6 certainly doesn't seem in everyone's best
interests in the long-term.

                                     -- Aaron