Public DNS64

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri Aug 15 22:11:04 UTC 2014

For a public DNS64 service you also need a public NAT64.  I suppose
anyone willing to run a Tor exit node might be also willing to run
such a service but it would be a traffic source anonymiser and
likely would be abused.

That said I could see it as a commercial service where only certain
sets of IPv6 clients get to use the service with a strict mapping
to IPv4 source addresses, logging etc.  A ISP which had already set
this up for themselves and had enough IPv4 addresses could offer
this to IPv6 only ISP's as a service they could buy.

Similarly a consortium of ISPs could set this up for their members
possibly pooling IPv4 addresses from the members.

Someone like HE might like to run such a service to further promote
IPv6.

This is something transit providers might get into.  IPv6 to IPv4
Translation services for IPv6 only clients.

The same arguements also work for DS-Lite.

Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org