Re: So Philip Smith / Geoff Huston's CIDR report becomes worth a good hard look today

[email protected] vristevs at ramapo.edu
Thu Aug 14 23:39:24 UTC 2014

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4GLTE sm

----- Reply message -----
From: "William Herrin" <bill at herrin.us>
To: "Randy Bush" <randy at psg.com>
Cc: "North American Network Operators' Group" <nanog at nanog.org>
Subject: So Philip Smith / Geoff Huston's CIDR report becomes worth a good hard look today
Date: Thu, Aug 14, 2014 6:04 pm

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 4:57 PM, Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:
>> My point was that Randy's BGP RIB pruning knobs are missing for a
>> different reason than your router FIB pruning knobs. Neither the
>> science nor the technology exists to create Randy's BGP pruning knobs.
>
> ahhh, you dug out the [j]tac tickets, or are you just conjecturbating?

Neither. I'm reporting the state of the science having been engrossed
in its research for the better part of a decade. Places like the IRTF
RRG. Because no science, also no tech. If you think have some magic
new algorithm that the RRG didn't consider, feel free to explain it
and I'll demonstrate a scenario for you where it fails too.

And I tip my hat to the router vendors for declining to implement
knobs which would damage the network, despite the demands of Randy
Bush.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us
Can I solve your unusual networking challenges?