Shaw routing issue 12 Aug 2014

Geoffrey Keating geoffk at geoffk.org
Wed Aug 13 22:06:13 UTC 2014

Pete Lumbis <alumbis at gmail.com> writes:

> Maybe related to the 512k route issue?
> http://www.bgpmon.net/what-caused-todays-internet-hiccup/
>
> I've seen people reboot to recover from TCAM exception without adjusting
> TCAM size only to run into the issue all over again. It's a fun way to
> watch the problems roll around the network.

In this case, it would probably have "helped" in the same way as
rebooting or waving a rubber chicken or whatever sometimes "helps": the
route issue was caused initially by a problem at Verizon that
caused them to deaggregate, which they fixed, so by the time someone had
identified the problem, paged someone, gotten them to the data center,
had a teleconference, rebooted the device, waited for it to come back
up...  Verizon would have fixed it, so when it came back up it'd be
back under 512k again.