So Philip Smith / Geoff Huston's CIDR report becomes worth a good hard look today

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Wed Aug 13 13:52:18 UTC 2014

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 1:40 AM,  <Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 08:08:04 +0300, Hank Nussbacher said:
>
>> We went with 768 - enough time to replace the routers with ASR9010s.  It is
>> merely a stop-gap measure to give everyone time to replace their routers in
>> an orderly fashion.
>
> The same people who, knowing the 6509 had this default config issue, and
> neither replaced the gear nor did the reconfig to buy time *before* the
> wall got hit, are going to replace said 6509 in orderly fashion?

Sadly enough:
A: not everyone knew about the issue - there are a large number of
folk running BGP on 65xx and taking full tables who are not plugged
into NANOG / the community. In many cases they are single homed
enterprise folk, but run BGP anyway (because com consultant set it up,
some employee with clue did it years ago and then left, etc).

B: they *did* know about the issue, but convincing management to spend
the cash to buy hardware that doesn't suck was hard, because
"everything is working fine at the moment" -- some folk needed things
to fail spectacularity to be able to justify shelling out the $$$ (
yes, they could recard the TCAM, but they are using this as an excuse
to get some real gear)...

Am I overly cynical, or does this all work out perfectly for some
vendors? I'm guessing that a certain vendor is going to see a huge
number of orders for new equipment, for an event that could have been
(and was) easily predicted... "Here, buy my widget... and then you'll
come back in a few years and buy another one.. <mwahahahah>".
Yup, folk purchasing these *should* have known (not like there was no
discussions of this), but, well, not everyone spends all day reading
NANOG / RIPE / CIDR report...

> Hank, you gotta learn to wear respiratory apparatus when working near
> open containers of magic router pixie dust - that stuff can screw you up
> if you inhale it. :)

idea in the first place.
of pants.
   ---maf