AM dust filters

Tom Morris blueneon at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 19:09:11 UTC 2014

One important question: how often is the equipment accessed for maintenance?

I've had reasonably good luck with air filter media coated with a
tackifier, similar to the Dustlok media here
http://www.filtersales.com/pagout.htm?id=Pad%20Media
It seems like what happens with it is heavier airborne fibers (lint, hair)
get caught up in the first few fibers of the media, not obstructing
airflow, and allow the finer dust to travel deeper into the media where it
sticks to the tacky layer at the back. It lasts a good long while. It's
single use though, so it has to be replenlished every now and then.

Foam rubber media tends to have trouble with surface/airflow area vs pore
size.

The best option, though, will be to enclose the equipment in a cabinet that
can be pressurized by one or more fan forced+filtered inlets. Middle
Atlantic makes rack cabinets and fan panels that can be used to pressurize
them that way. If you get a cabinet that takes a standard furnace filter,
I've had good luck with the off the shelf 3M Filtrete Ultra Allergen
filters, they have a TON of surface area with great fine dust capture and
very low airflow resistance, even when you're drawing the air through them
really way too fast. :)

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 2:19 PM, Jason Lixfeld <jason at lixfeld.ca> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm interested in knowing what sorts of material folks use to make
> after-market dust filters for their various devices which wouldn't normally
> have any.  This seems to almost be a necessity when these kinds of devices
> are deployed in environments that are overly dusty and dirty (it should
> also be implied that these environments are all in-doors and would have
> less than ideal airflow and climate control).
>
> A material that is too dense will hider airflow and cause an immediate
> increase in inlet temperature, which would exacerbate a potentially
> threatening temperature situation in environments where the ambient
> temperature is already in the mid to high twenties and above (that's 77 -
> 86F+ for my American friends ;)).  A material that is not dense enough
> won't do a very good job at filtering.
>
> Do folks just hack up HEPA filters or something?

Tom Morris, KG4CYX
Mad Scientist and Operations Manager, WDNA-FM 88.9 Miami - Serious Jazz!
786-228-7087
151.820 Megacycles