So Philip Smith / Geoff Huston's CIDR report becomes worth a good hard look today

Suresh Ramasubramanian ops.lists at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 16:10:55 UTC 2014

512K routes, here we come.  Lots of TCAM based routers suddenly become
really expensive doorstops.

Maybe time to revisit this old 2007 nanog thread?

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/engine?do=post_view_flat;post=99870;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;list=nanog

FYI nanog -   https://puck.nether.net/pipermail/outages/2014-August/007091.html

[outages] Major outages today, not much info at this time

Teun Vink teun at teun.tv
Tue Aug 12 11:42:05 EDT 2014

On di, 2014-08-12 at 15:20 +0000, Hoyle Anderson (AM) via Outages wrote:
> I know this isn’t much help, but there are major problems with
> multiple ISPs since around 4-5 AM EST.  I really don’t have much
> detail, but I have sites that are unreachable from some providers.
> Looks like Comcast, level3, ATT, cogent, etc.
>

> So, it’s probably not just you, but I’m afraid I don’t know who it is.
> I heard one report of a datacenter outage.

Hi,

Some routing tables hit 512K routes today. Some old hardware and
software can't handle that and either crash or ignore newly learned
routes. So this may cause some disturbances in the force.

HTH,
Teun